Sunday, August 20, 2006

A (political) Thought

I just got an email from one of my girlfriends, Jennie. She and I have been friends since freshman year of college. We were in the same sorority. We shared an apartment senior year. We even shared a dog after grad. Her husband, Ken, is a captain in our Armed Forces, Army. He's been in Afghanistan since the spring. This is his second tour over there. Jennie's email said that Ken's convoy had been hit by some kind of grenade and that he is hurt. He's lost his left arm below the elbow and has various other injuries. He's on his way to Walter Reed.

Obviously, I am saddened by this. I was in their wedding, and they were both in mine. Ken and my husband are also friends, ROTC buddies, and fraternity brothers. Their son was born the year between my two. We let the three of them play at homecoming every year, and they get along great. This news breaks my heart and makes me cry. This is the closest to my world that this "conflict" has come yet.

And it makes me mad. I am not a very political person. As long as the gov't lets me live my life with no interference, I'm okay with them. Sure, I bitch about taxes and the fact that I get paid next to nothing and No Child Left Behind, but other than that I'm pretty easy-going. Now, I'm pissed. I don't agree with this problem. I don't agree that my friends and other people's friends and family, should have to go fight, get hurt, and die for this bullshit cause. I know that there are bad people, terrorists, in the world. I understand that they are out to get the US because we are such a terrible God-less nation. But what we are doing over there, it sucks. It's obviously not doing any good. They are still blowing each other up. They are still blowing up our guys. They are still sending other terrorists to get on planes in Britain. So what is the point? I just don't understand. Especially while I'm paying $2.80 a gallon for gas.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support our men and women in uniform. While they're over there, I hope they are okay. I wish no bad stuff to happen to them. I just don't think they need to be there to begin with. We can't find Osama bin Laden. We've already gotten rid of Saddam Hussein. And nothing has improved! Is that not a clue that maybe we're in the wrong place?! What are we doing over there, other than pissing off the people who live there. We are disrupting their lives, sometimes even accidently killing them. I don't understand.

C'mon, Bush! Bring our men and women home! And to my new blog-friends, please pray for Jennie, Ken, and all the families impacted by these wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. No matter what side of this war argument you are on, we all want it to end.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Hi, Mama C. No trash talking from me after reading that post....

My family has managed to dodge the Iraq bullet so far. My stepson was released from the military for medical reasons just before the war started. His wife got out the same day she was supposed to be shipped out (new baby and my stepson's condition - leaving him unable to care for the baby). My brother went down and re-enlisted the afternoon of 9/11 and we have been holding our breaths ever since. He has since proven his worth here at home (Katrina) and his organizational skills are being put to work in a couple of base closings.

So we have been lucky - and we know it. We are also acutely aware of those who have not been so lucky. My thoughts go out to your friend and husband. Life just got more difficult than it needed to be, but together - with help, they can get through this and come out stronger people on the other side.

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker