Monday, June 18, 2007

Our First Sunday

I have to report. It was our first Sunday at our new church. Pageland United Methodist in the little town of Pageland, SC. WOW! I could not believe that the self-assured man standing at the front of the church behind the lectern was my Hubs! His voice boomed. His gestures were sure. He didn't stumble or hesitate. It was like someone else. I have never been so proud of him. It brought tears to my eyes.

All the things I was frightened of, being a pastor's wife, were totally unfounded. The people at PUMC were super nice and friendly. I went over with Cheeseman just before Sunday School time. We played with Bman in the nursery for a few minutes. Then two nice ladies, I can't remember both their names now, came by with the other members of his SS class. There were two little girls, ages 6 and 10, and one little boy, age 5. Perfect! So Cheeseman went with them, and had a great time.

Bman and I stayed in the nursery and played. They had lots of "old school" toys. Like those little plastic things that hook together by a hole in one end. I can't think of what they are. They are baby toys, but Bman totally loved them. They even had a cash register, like the one I had when I was a toddler. It didn't work anymore, and all the plastic money was gone, but still!

The church service was great! I'm still not a HUGE fan of traditional music, but it sounded different without an organ blasting. They only have a piano, and that made a difference to me. I liked it better. All the people were so nice, coming up and introducing themselves. I met one lady, Miss Rachel. She said that I had met her "little" sister the day before, Miss Ruth. Miss Ruth is 92. Miss Rachel is 98. The church is 102 years old. WOW! Miss Ruth sings in the choir, and Miss Rachel is the head of the trustees. These ladies are still going strong!

I have never gone to a church with so much history. It was really neat.

The parsonage is nice too. The boys love it! It is about twice the size of our house. The boys are sharing a bedroom, since Bman is not ready to sleep on a double bed by himself. They did okay with that. The first night, they made noise for about 10 minutes before settling down. But we wore them out on Saturday, and they went right to bed at 8:00.

There is a large open field right down a small hill from the house. It's church property, so the boys played baseball down there. There is also a playground right across the street. It has swings, a metal slide, metal jungle gyms (plural!!), and a climbing wall. Even a tire swing! We were there for over an hour! It was AWESOME!!!

There is no TV at the parsonage. It was not even a problem. We played outside, read books, played Power Rangers. Hubs' parents came and stayed Saturday night as well. It was a great Father's Day gift for his dad to hear him preach his first sermon in his first church. They were almost as proud as I was.

I went for a walk Saturday morning. I think I saw most of Pageland in 40 minutes. There is a KFC, Subway, Bojangles, Pizza Hut, Sub Station 2, Burger King, CVS, Dollar General, Family Dollar, BiLo, Rent-A-Center, and Advance Auto. There is no Wal-Mart, KMart, or Target. When we went "shopping" to get stuff for the house, we went to Dollar General. It was actually not too bad. When we went out to lunch after church, people spoke to each other. That small-town thing was not too bad. I think I liked it.

Anyway, I won't mind going back and staying there on the weekends. It will be nice to unwind and slow down on the weekends. If the washing machine were larger, it would be perfect, but you can't have it all!

2 comments:

Sayre said...

It sounds like you may have found a little piece of your very own heaven. Change isn't always a bad thing, scary as it might be to think about.

So glad Hubs seems to have found his footing. And hurray for you for holding the ladder.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that things went well for you at the new church. Small towns can be fun. It's only when they think they know your business that things get sticky.

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker