Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Here I am

The past two days have been such fun. Spending 8 hours in a van with my parents and my two children ON MY BIRTHDAY was not the best time. I mean, they were all fine, but it just isn't a typical celebration. Then Colby had a fit because we couldn't find a pizza place for dinner. Then Bennett had a fit because we didn't order him mac'n'cheese. Ugh! And I didn't even get a slice of cake or anything for dessert! Geez! The best part was that night. We stayed at a Hampton Inn, and the bed was just luxurious! AND I had 3 super soft, yet firm, pillows all to myself. It was nice. And even the shower was nice in the morning. Can't complain, especially since it was all free for me.

The next day, we were on the road for another 7 hours. I spent the time cross-stitching mostly. I know, what an old lady thing to do. But it doesn't require much thinking, and I'm all into that. We stopped at McD's for lunch, and neither of the children ate. We finally got to Greatgrandma's midafternoon. The kids immediately made friends with a couple of little kids from next door. It was nice to just sit outside and visit in the shade. Later in the evening, a couple of my aunts and uncles came over and we had some ice cream cake FOR ME! YAY! Finally, a birthday celebration! I even made some money, which was totally unexpected. It was nice to feel loved.

Once the kids went to bed, I got to hang out with my aunts and uncles. It's strange being here. When I walk into Greatgrandma's house, I immediately feel like I'm about 10. And hearing my dad being called "grandpa" in this house is really weird. All those years, MY grandpa was grandpa. He's been gone for 8 years now, almost, but I still can't get used to him not being here. It was also strange because I'm kind of in those middle years now. I'm an adult, technically, so I can have "meaningful conversation" with my aunts and uncles, but I'm not really the same generation as them. But the oldest of my cousins who was here, is only like 19. So I'm not really in the same generation as him either. In fact, my younger cousin is actually closer to Colby's age than he is to mine. That was a hard pill to swallow. So last night, I felt kind of in limbo. At least if Kat had been there, I would have had someone to hang out with. Maybe she'll come by today and make me feel more like I belong. I would also like someone cool to go shopping with. After all, that money is burning a hole in my pocket.

And I miss my hubby. I think he's lonely too, since he's been calling me about 6 times a day. I can't wait to go home on Sunday! I want to sleep through the night in my own bed.

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker