Monday, October 02, 2006

And Another One

I'll be the first to admit it. I don't want to go to work tomorrow. I know I say that a lot, but I think that there are teachers everywhere who will echo my sentiments.

There was another school shooting today. In Amish country. A shooter just walked in and blew the kids (girls) away. Last week, a principal was shot by a student. The week before, there was a shooting somewhere else. According to the news, there have been 17 fatal shootings just this school year. Since August 1.

I'm scared. I work in a less desireable part of town. The kids at my school can be rough. We have an entire "village" of portables. Anybody can get in there and just go crazy. There's a chain link fence keeping us safe. There's a whole building site on the other side. What if one of those guys went crazy? Who is going to stop them?

I have two little ones who need their mommy.

Someone needs to do something about this. I don't want to be afraid every time I go to work. I'm a teacher for goodness sake! We're all about shaping the future of America, creating leaders, and all that shit. Isn't it time someone took care of us. Lord knows, we don't get paid enough to give up our lives.

Think about it. And thank a teacher for being willing to go to work tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Oh, Mama C - I so hear you! The headlines these days are very scary.

I admire teachers. I don't know how they do what they do everyday. I get frustrated dealing with MY kid - and there's only one of him.

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker