Saturday, July 26, 2008

the lazy days of summer

Finally, a day that actually feels like a vacation! As you might have heard, our official tour ended yesterday in Rome. We have the whole weekend free to see anything we might have missed, or just other things we want to do.

Personally, if I see another museum anytime in the next year, I may go crazy. Seriously.

I got to sleep in today. Then I went and dropped off my laundry at the local launderette. It's a great concept, paying someone else to wash your dirty clothes. Wish that happened at home!

Then I wandered. I took the Metro to Spagna (near the Spanish Steps). I walked over to the Borghese Gardens again. I decided, as I was wandering, to go to the zoo. Or the Bioparc as they call it.

I saw a lion, two tigers, and two bears! (oh my!) I also saw a seal, some lemurs, a zebra, an ostrich, an elephant, a camel, some antelope, many kinds of birds, and various other animals. It was a nice little park. Honestly, I was a little let down. I expected, since Rome is such a huge city, that it would have a really impressive zoo. I found that it wasn't any better than our one at home. In fact, we had most of the same animals, just more of them! But it was nice to see it, and very restful.

I wandered back over near the Spanish steps, then down the Via del Corso a bit. That's one of the main shopping areas in Rome. I didn't buy anything! I veered off the main road for a bit, and took some of the smaller "viales". Those are like little roads. The larger roads in Rome are via. The smaller ones are viale. I found some viale.

I feel like I got to know the city a bit better today. I ended up over by the Campo dei Fiori, which I have mentioned several times. It's one of my favorite places in the city. Then I walked back over to Largo Argentina and caught the bus home.

I did take a nap this afternoon after I returned. It felt good!

Chanda, Jason, and I went out to dinner at a local place. We got to create our own pasta. Basically, you pick the sauce and the type of pasta you want. We each got something different, so we shared. It was good. And I have to say that Jason's tortellini with pesto was the best.

Now we're home, and I'm feeling a bit tired again. I don't really have any plans for tomorrow. I would like to find some silver sandals and a pair of jeans. But if not, I'm okay with that.

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker