Sunday, July 08, 2007

Something weird is going on. The kids are asleep. I'm at the computer. Oh, yeah, Hubs is not home. This week, Hubs has gone away. He is participating in Salkehatchie Summer Service. If you have not heard of this, it is a wonderful mission opportunity.

Basically, a group of adults and youth (mostly youth) go out into a community and fix up houses. The catch is, these are very NEEDY houses. Many of them have holes in the walls/floors/roofs. They have no air or heat. They have water that doesn't work. These homes are also usually full of people. One at their camp this year has about 11 people living in it. I have seen the "before" photos, and they are often horrific. It is sad and scary to think that people actually live in conditions like these for extended time.

This year, the Calhoun County Camp is servicing about 5 houses, I think. They do all this using donated items such as used mattresses, sinks, stoves, refrigerators, etc. They paint walls, install fans, lay carpet, and change lives. It happens from Sunday (today) until Friday. It's like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, only without all the money and camera crews. The volunteers stay in the local middle school. Their food is provided by local churches. They pay $200 a person for the privilege of participating.

This is Hubs' 5th year, I believe. Every year, this camp falls on my birthday week. (It's tomorrow, by the way.) Do mind that he misses my big day? Not much. The fact that he is out there, making the world a little bit better for a needy family makes it okay.

I miss him already. It is lonely in this house without him, even with the kids. They cannot make up for the large cold spot in the bed.

By the way, I ate way to much tonight at Mom's. Why is it that whenever I go over there, I feel the need to eat everything in sight? Ugh!

No comments:

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker